Gluten Free Carrot Cake Oatmeal
It’s finally (almost) spring!! While we’re still getting snowed on here in Cincinnati, I wanted to make something delicious for breakfast to offset running in a winter wonderland that has long overstayed its welcome. Carrots bring up thoughts of bunnies and spring, and while there will be an actual carrot cake recipe soon, this is a sweet way to change up breakfast.
Plus, what’s better than coming back from a long run and having carrot cake for breakfast? Carrot cake that you can convince yourself is healthy. Yeah.
2 cups water
1 cup gf oats
1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp shredded + chopped carrot
1 tbsp chopped walnuts
2 tbsp shredded coconut
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 oz creme cheese
Assembling the Delicious
You have two options for making this dish!
On the stove:
- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan
- Stir in oats and salt, turn heat to low and let simmer uncovered
- Once the mixture starts to thicken and the oats are becoming soft stir in the walnuts, carrot and butter
- Simmer and stir until the oats are your desired consistency, then stir in the coconut, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and creme cheese
In the microwave:
- Put the oats, water, salt, walnuts, carrot and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Give it a stir and cook on HIGH for 2 – 2.5 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and creme cheese